Tuesday, November 17, 2015

College Day (a.k.a. WayTooMuchStuffedIntoOneDayAndIsThisEvenPossibleAndINeedCoffeeAndCongratsIfYouActuallyReadThisTitle...)

You want to know what I've been up to today? Probably not. But you know what? I'm gonna write it anyway, because it's kinda crazy...

1) Got up and got ready and ate breakfast in the cafeteria. Chocolate chip muffins have a way of starting a stressful, busy day out on a pleasant note :)

2) Research Design and Methodology. Sound intimidating? Yeah, sort of is, but I've really learned a lot from this class... I'm actually considering entering a research contest of sorts, but we'll see if that happens!

3) Christian Life Formation. Today the speaker talked about an American Christian response to Islamic fascism. Nope, I definitely don't have the time or mental/emotional capacity to go into that right now, though I'd suggest it is a subject we really don't need to ignore...

4) Social Psychology. In which we proceed to debate whether or not Milgram's obedience studies explain Nazi behavior during the Holocaust. Yep, today was full of deep topics.

5) Lunch! Finally, a short reprieve from being productive. Unless of course eating is productive, and I'm pretty sure it is seeing as we need food to live... :)

6) Back to my dorm to prepare a lesson for a kids/teens Bible club and practice choir music.

7) Choir. Can you spell C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S???? I realize, it is not Thanksgiving yet, but I can't help it! Practicing Christmas music just gets me excited for the holidays!

8) Finished preparing my lesson, and headed off to the Bible club.

9) Bible club! I actually need to insert something here. Have you ever noticed how God uses sort of random things to speak to your heart? I was teaching about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. As a church kid, I basically thought I knew this story inside out and couldn't possibly get something else out of it. But God's Word is not static, it is "living and active." While preparing and teaching, and asking the kids to name some idols in their lives (idols can be anything that take the place of God in our hearts), I realized that I have some idolatry in my life that needs to be dealt with. That sounds so bad, but it's true. With crazy days like the one I am currently relating, and a desire to achieve academically, I have pretty much neglected my time with God the past couple weeks. For simplicity's sake, I'll call my idols School and Schedule. Well School and Schedule are both good, I think we'd all agree. There's nothing inherently wrong with other common idols either. The problem is when they cross over the line from "good thing" to "idol." I'm not going to go into tons of detail here, but how do we invest our talents, gifts, and personalities - without making things or concepts take the place of God in our hearts? Food for thought.

10) Not done yet! Went to an abstract writing workshop. In research writing, and abstract is basically a short summary of an article that goes at the beginning.

11) Was going to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to unwind (my favorite TV show), but the TV room was taken. Which is probably a good thing based on the revelation I had during Bible club. Now I have time to spend some time with God at the end of this crazy day, and process what He's been teaching me.

College is weird and crazy and busy and full of coffee. But you know what? It's also pretty great. I know the term "learning experience" is becoming really cliche, but it pretty much sums up what college life has been for me.

Goodnight!


2 comments:

  1. I NEED COFEEEEEEEEEE :D :D aka a yeah this was a totally cray cray day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being practical, I find the best way for me personally to fight off idolatry is to open my Bible and read. This is a challenge in itself! Reading it reminds me who I am in Christ. It helps me rethink bad choices and to make good ones, including how I invest my time, effort, money, talent, and energy. The more I do read? The more I want to read!

    ReplyDelete